Stylus Architects were commissioned to conduct a full feasibility review of the ground floor space and the exterior façade. The original 1930’s cottage was visible from the rear but a later 1980’s addition shrouded the front of the house. The aim was to make this already large dwelling have more cohesion between each of the spaces and building elements.
The design introduced new windows and timber ship lapped boards painted in a traditional heritage green. This theme is then carried onto a replacement front porch and incorporated on other small parts around the building.
Internally, the spaces were rationalised. With the use of large format pocket doors, greater flexibility was created permitting rooms to feel either snug or open depending on the user’s preference. The internal space-flow works well as the majority of rooms can be accessed from the new extended entrance hall.
In the center of the house is a new open plan kitchen, dining and living space that is full of natural daylight from multiple facades. This space is accessible to and from the rear garden.